Friday, May 6, 2011

Assault and Violins

I remember that my mom was trying to teach me some elements of music because I was learning to play violin from her.  I could play okay, but I hated having lessons from her.  She would always make me feel so bad when I couldn't grasp something.  I have a great ear, and I can read notes, but I was six and she was trying to show me how to read whole notes, half notes, and other theory.  Maybe it came naturally to her when she was a child and she had unrealistic expectations that I would be able to follow in her stead, I don't know.  But she drew more and more pictures of the same thing (saying the same thing over and over and expecting a different result) and got more and more impatient with me, and let out those little sighs of disgust and looked at me like I was stupid, I started to cry.  She looked at me with even more surprise and disdain, and said, "You wouldn't be making such a fuss if it was a different teacher.  Maybe I should get another teacher and you'll see that they teach the same things as I am trying to teach."  But with her as my teacher I was miserable about violin and stopped playing after maybe a couple of years.  She taught my brothers a bit, too, but I think she felt they were 'boys' and should be doing something more physical like sports. 

No comments: